This may truly not be worth posting, however....
Sometimes I think all those experts made a bigger deal about child development than it really needs to be. I think if a baby/young child is made to feel loved and secure (as long as he doesn't have brain damage or mental illness of some sort) he'll grow into a secure child who likes to learn and ultimately gains yet more confidence as he grows (or at least the kind of "deep, inner, confidence" it takes to have good relationships. I think everyone has minor insecurities about some "superficial" or "minor" things; but I think all it takes to be able to have healthy relationships. Since a secure person usually knows how to make the most of whatever looks he got (rather than wearing "what everyone else is wearing"), he'll probably also have a good, basic, self-image (even if he has the usual minor insecurities about something in his appearance).
If you think about it, there are pretty much two main things that make a person "have issues" - serious insecurity as a person and lack of good coping skills. I think a secure child will reach a stage in development (eventually) when he'll have faith in his own ability to develop some coping skills. With the brain developing most connection in the first three years of life, it seems as if the latter stages of child/teen development are all about working on the "finer points" (like developing coping skills, interpersonal skills, and eventually a philosophy of life).
No comments:
Post a Comment